Are you a ‘grumpy cat’ or an ‘Angry bird’? Don’t worry, you can answer with confidence because no one blames you. Life can be exciting yet so tough, that it literally weighs you on your shoulder. Whether it’s at work or at home, sometimes some things could just tick you off and ruin your day. What’s the solution? Ever heard, worrying won’t help you scale through your problem? So the best thing to do, is to cheer up but how can you instantly go from point A to point B? In as much as I’d love to suggest Yoga because it sounds fancy and could be effective, I think it is quite impractical. You can’t tell your whining child or your annoying boss, “Hold on, let me just take a standing forward bend position and align myself with my chakras” or ” just a sec, let me do the easy sit yoga pose and think far… far away to the white sands and turquoise blue sea”. Snap out of it, already. *snaps fingers*. These incredible ways I’m about to mention are practical, tried and true and above all, suggested by renowned Psychologists.
- Going through old photos: Go down memory lane and get yourself smiling as you think of the good ol’ days. Laugh at your ‘efico’ look, those thick lenses on your eyewear though…Gademmit!
- Wearing bright-colored outfits: Psychologists say colors affect our moods. Yes, it does. Wondered why most eateries go for red and yellow? It’s because the combination stirs up hunger. So do other colors have their power to stir up a peculiar emotion. In this case they recommend, blues, greens, pinks. They are happy colors. Ditch your black attire for a happy color and notice the difference.
- Taking a power nap: I would be the first to prefer 8 hours long sleep to a power nap but since you can’t get such sleep in an office environment or even at home if you have a full house, taking power naps always do the trick.
- Drinking a cup of hot chocolate: Whip out that Ovaltine. Do not have mercy! Heap your spoon with that goodness and add some milk and drink away. Talking about it is already giving me a boost.
- Taking a hot shower: Taking a hot shower calms your nerves. Psychologists say it even calms the feeling of loneliness.
- Getting a sweet hug from your boo: Ab-so-friggin-lutely ! This is a no-Brainer. Feeling down, feeling low? All you need is some TLC from your partner. Psychologists say a hug gives a feeling of reassurance. If you are the one causing someone to feel down, in the spirit of hugging, please hug a transformer. Be reassured in its electricity. lol
- Jamming loud your favorite songs: I do this a lot. All ye ‘dabbing and shoki’ dancers, this is for you. Whenever you are depressed about the rate at which Nigerian teenagers ‘dab’ but can’t pass their WAEC Exams, just play your jams and shoki. Gospel songs can also help boost your mood through the messages of hope.
- Sniffing your partner’s dirty laundry!: Hmmm, Psychologists say this but I’ve not done it. It does make sense though since the natural body scents contain pheromones that aid attraction to the opposite sex. So go ahead, pick up his sweat shirt and inhale. Lol. PS: Sniffing at Sniffer’s risk.
- Fake a happy countenance and Smile: The saying, “Fake it till you make it” applies here. Even though you are gloomy, put up a smiling face. Research shows that, that action on its own is an instant mood booster. Suddenly, you feel happy. Try it, it works!
- Do something good to someone: This doesn’t make sense right?…but that’s just how it is. You don’t need to be religious to attain this. Anyone can do this. If you are sad, try helping someone with something, no matter how little. Their broad smile and appreciation that they achieved their goal with your help would just light up your soul. You’d feel like you are a worthy humanitarian. You don’t need to be Ellen Degeneres to be an outstanding humanitarian, do your little bit and put a smile on someone’s face. It ricochets!
- Zone out: This is when you actually have the time to zone out. You can ‘netflix and chill’, you can just cry and let out some steam, you can be quiet to analyse what the root cause of your sadness is, you can also snooze. The sole purpose is for you to rest, rejuvenate and bounce back.
- Seek God: Yessss! Above all, seek God. There is a higher realm of things beyond your understanding. When things seem inexplicable, yet overwhelming, tell it all to God. You’d always feel peace after a good talk.
Do you have more mood-boosting tips you’d like to share? Please do, we all need it. Please don’t forget to Like our Facebook page.
1,014 total views, 6 views today