Today is April Fool’s Day. A day where pranks played are valid and not taken to heart except you’ve been in a 10 year relationship, he proposes and shouts “April Fool!” 😈 That, my friend is an evil person. Just kill him.😂.
The ‘origins’ of the day, initially coined “All Fools Day”, are at the centre of some disputes. Some people believe the original April Fools were those who failed to pay attention when much of Europe adopted the Gregorian calendar, which we still use today, introduced by Pope Gregory in 1582. The new calendar moved the start of the year from April to January and those who continued to celebrate the New Year at the old date on April 1 were ridiculed. Here are some amazing facts about this day.
- On April Fools Day in 1989, billionaire Richard Branson (CEO Virgin Atlantic) designed a hot air balloon to look like a UFO and hired a dwarf in an E.T. costume to come out and scare whoever was near it when it landed. – Source
- Easter will be on April Fools Day in 2018. – Source
- On April Fools Day, 1976, the BBC convinced many listeners that a special alignment of the planets would temporarily decrease gravity on Earth. Phone lines were flooded with callers who claimed they felt the effects.😂😂
- The French call April 1 “Poisson d’Avril,” or “April Fish.” French children sometimes tape a picture of a fish on the back of their schoolmates, crying “Poisson d’Avril” when the prank is discovered.
- On April Fools Day 1974, a man hauled 70 tires into the crater of a dormant volcano in Alaska and set them on fire, terrifying nearby residents into thinking the volcano was erupting again. – Source
- For April Fools Day in 1957, the BBC created a hoax in which they convinced the nation that spaghetti was grown from “spaghetti trees” in Italy and Switzerland. – Source. These ones na real olodo with spaghetti brain.
- Gmail first launched on April 1st, 2004. It was widely assumed the service was an April Fools Day joke!
- Google once actually lost a python in their offices on April Fools Day. – That’s some scary sh#*#”@*t!
- In some counties, the pranks should be played only until noon! After noon, it’s invalid. You could even be beaten for it by some who don’t find it funny.
- In 1945, the weather broadcast department announced a tsunami in Pacific Island on April first and since the many thought that it was a prank, they didn’t mind the announcement and what to say next? The big tragedy hit!!😢
- In some countries, people throw flour at each other as the part of festivities.
- The Korean royal family is allowed to lie and play pranks on April first. And you say the English Royals are stuck up?
- Scotland, people celebrate two days as fools’ days! The second is called “Taily day,” in which people play pranks only using one’s back part. That is they stick papers saying, “Kick me” and so on to one’s back and victim gets kicked. Ouch!!!
I hardly see people playing pranks these recent years. Watapun?!! Everyone’s so glued to social media and stress, no one’s got the time to play. Hmmm. Today is Saturday. I wonder what a wedding fixed today would be like? The MC would have a filled day. Hope the groom doesn’t play a fast one? They won’t know what’s a hoax or real.
How bad have you been pranked? Years ago, living Single, Someone played a prank on me that my house items have been cleared and carted by robbers the weekend I went to see my folks. I rushed in and got an “April Fool”. Hahhh, I felt like strangling someone. What not-so-funny prank got you on April Fool’s Day? Share at the comment section.
784 total views, 2 views today