I love Shawarma! Who doesn’t? I remember the first time I ate it. I wondered why such a sumptuous food wasn’t available when I was a kid and didn’t have to worry about calories.
Shawarma or Shawurma (I love how the Arabs call it and roll the ‘r’) is originally a Middle Eastern dish. It’s made of different kinds of meat and vegetables. It is so rich, it is either served like that on a plate as a meal or wrapped in unleavened / pita bread. The filling of meat and vegetables is actually what is called Shawarma. What makes the Arab shawarma different from Nigeria’s is the dinstinct taste of garlic sauce, garlic mayonnaise, sometimes amba sauce (pickled mango and chili). Also the vegetables and filling used are different and richer. In this case, it’s carrots, cabbage, lettuce, cucumber, eggplants, pickles, even french fries are added to the filling. Your poor waist line! Don’t worry, we won’t go that far. I’ll just be using garlic mayonnaise and whole lettuce (Used to shield fillings from soaking the bread ). So that we strike a balance between Mediterranean and Nigerian. With the recent economic crisis, one must reduce trips to that favorite Shawarma joint. So you don’t miss out, just learn the recipe! You are welcome. Lol
Let me tell you, the secret to a tasty shawarma is the Mayo-Ketch ratio. That is the Mayonnaise and ketchup mixed. If you get a good balance between these two, you’d get a great taste. Shawarma isn’t so hard to make. Or should I say my style ain’t hard. Let’s start with listing the ingredients:
- 4 sausages
- 1/2 kilo Chicken breast (boneless,skinless)
- 1 onion
- 1 little iceberg lettuce
- 1 small Cabbage
- 2 medium Carrots
- 1 medium cucumber
- Unleavened/Pita bread/Tortilla wrap
- Garlic Mayonnaise
- Mustard cream (optional)
- Dried pepper
- Seasoning cubes
- Vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- First, dice your chicken breast into tiny bits. Marinate by adding seasoning cubes, pepper, curry and salt to taste. Cover and set aside for 30minutes.
- Pour in a little oil in a pan. Heat it, add some chopped onions, then pour your marinated chicken and stir fry until it is well cooked.
- Grate your carrots,cabbage (big grate size). Slice your cucumber thinly. Set them aside.
- For your Mayo-Ketch: Add some mayonnaise, Add a desirable amount of ketchup and mix. Set it aside.
- Place your flat bread/tortilla wrap on a flat surface. Place two iceberg lettuce leaves directly on it. This will serve as your canvas, preventing the Mayo – ketch from soaking the flat bread.
- Mix the chicken bits, carrots, cabbage and cucumber in the Mayo-Ketch. Scoop spoonfuls and carefully place it in the middle of the bread.(You can add your mustard cream at this point)
- Place one sausage in the middle.
- Roll it. (If you have a pressed grill,you can place the shawarma in it or place in a hot frying pan. It’s not compulsory to do that.)
And Voila! Your home-made Chicken Shawarma. Everything here is less than 1000 Naira and this serves 4 people. You just saved yourself 3k Naira. And in this time of inflation, probably 7k. Somebothy, shout harllerluryar! Talk about eating belle-ful on a frugal budget.
PS: To prevent it from being messy, wrap it in foil paper just as you would wrap the flat bread. Tuck in the ends. For photography purposes, I left mine unwrapped.
2,117 total views, 0 views today