Before you stretch out your arm to take that best-angled selfie and tag it “Self-love”, creating a facade, pause and think on how you are ‘self-loving’. Happy Easter everyone. I hope you are enjoying the holidays? After this, it’s going to be business as usual. The paper Chase, the rat race, the world’s madness, you name it. I’ve been an advocate for taking care of self but it’s not been easy when you know you have a thousand and one things to take care of. Lately, I’ve been trying to push on the brake pedal and just reflect (and also act towards my sanity), to be the best of myself. I am no Oprah but I think what I’m about to share would spur someone to really think of self because If I don’t take care of myself, who will?
Dettol! I kid. Now here are some practical and intentional tips towards getting a better you. Some might sound clichè but my point here is being intentional. Besides before you write it off as clichè, you might want to read through to learn a thing or two.
- Lose some pounds with a bit of open mindedness: I’m not speaking parables here. All I’m saying is make room for change. Are you one who shows your patriotism in Nigerian starchy staple foods? Maybe you should try other national delicacies(the bearable ones, ofcourse) and it will surprise you how adaptive your taste buds could be. Weightloss starts in the kitchen. You don’t have to eat rice, yam and Garri all the time. You could be open to potatoes, Brown rice, unripe plantains as your staple food and enjoy your meals without piling on the carbs. Who says you need to fry with the usual vegetable oil? Why not try olive oil instead? They are alot healthier. Another option is grilling and baking food, instead of frying. (You know Nigerians can fry for Africa.) Simple little changes affect you in the long run. You would be amazed how many pounds you could drop by just doing this alone.
- Have a FUN exercise: Most people get pumped up to exercise. They buy all shades and colors of work out gears to post on instagram but their zeal burn out sooner than later. The main cause of this lack of consistency is, not enjoying the process. When trying to lose weight, look for what you love and make it your exercise. When you constantly exercise beyond your strength, you become even more stressed. This stress can spur you to eat even more. Then you wonder why you are not losing weight. Pick up a form of exercise you love and do it as little as 15 minutes everyday. Your heart and waistline will thank you later. It could be dancing, swimming, aerobics or just muscle toning exercises at the gym. Mine is skipping. I do 500 skips a day (Or every other day) and it makes me feel good. Do not go doing crunches and planks when you just don’t enjoy it. It would be good that you do those but you won’t be able to sustain.
- Read a book: I’ve always loved reading motivational books. Now I’m intentional and sweet Lord, I’ve been learning alot. Currently, I’m reading these two books.
I recommend “Crush It” for every entrepreneur or blogger. It’s about monetizing your passion. It’s by a guy, Gary Vaynerchuk, whose video I randomly saw on Facebook and he is a blunt speaker of the truth. The second is for those who engage in public speaking at work places, schools and events. Two must-haves. Learn to read. It opens a world of possibilities for you. You begin to plot your story when you gather knowledge.
- Pray: Need I emphasize on this? Prayer is everything. Ditch the prayer protocols and really go intentional with God. What would you have Him do for you? Go to Him in prayer. What would He have you do for Him? Get directions, my dear.
- Solitude and Meditation: I am not saying you should go to a beach and take a yoga pose (well,go for it) while the rest of things around you suffer. You could actually find solitude by putting your phone away (after reading Bubu’s Boulevard, of course) for some hours and meditate on positive things. Where do you wish to be? How do you wanna get there?…and just breathe. After such moment, you come out all surged for the work ahead.
- Be Easy On Self: Learn not to stress about anything beyond your power. Like the social prayer says,”Lord, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things that I can and the wisdom to know the difference”. You’d save yourself the stress when you know when to try to change something and when you need to let it be. Crave serenity. The world is going crazy. You should carry your peace with you. Have a good sleep and try to be well-rested.
- And Oh! Do not self medicate: Having some symptoms supposedly familiar? Don’t start piling up pills and potions. Try seeing the doctor first. Take time to do Lab tests. My point…Be intentional.
With these few points of mine, I hope I’ve been able to convince you to take care of self. It’s a little price you pay to get great results for you and the people around you.
853 total views, 2 views today